[OM] [OT] Re: My new/old Zuiko-hauler

Subject: [OM] [OT] Re: My new/old Zuiko-hauler
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:22:41 -0400
Downloading the 11MB file took approximately 12 minutes on my broadband connection. I was surprised at how long it took.

Display started up at about 10 minutes into the download. That was a surprise too since I expected it to start sooner. However, I didn't record the play time and if the play time was in the range of a minute or so it makes sense that it would outrun the available buffer if it started much sooner.
<begin really OT old war story>
Although I am a Windoze user I do have QuickTime installed. When I worked for IBM OS/2 Development I had a liaison relationship with Apple with respect to multimedia and data standards. Apple proposed a deal to me that would give IBM free use of QuickTime for OS/2. Their hope was to solidify QuickTime as the standard. I was in strong favor of this deal but my boss wouldn't bite. At the time the OS/2 player was a bit more sophisticated than QuickTime. It was, but not enough to give OS/2 any kind of competitive advantage. In my opinion the data standard was far more important than the implementation code.

In those days Windoze could not reliably synchronize a video and data stream but OS/2 and QuickTime had that down cold. Today, machines are blazingly fast and everybody knows how to sync the data. But I don't have OS/2 installed anymore and so I have to leave a little room for QuickTime.
<end really OT old war story>

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA