Re: [OM] I've got myself in a mess because (fugitive ball beairing)

Subject: Re: [OM] I've got myself in a mess because (fugitive ball beairing)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:59:49 -0400
At 4:34 PM +0000 6/8/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 01:03:15 -0700
>From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] I've got myself in a mess because
>
>Somewhere on the carpet is a little ~1mm ball bearing. That little spring
>fits into a little hole, and the ball bearing sits on top of it. The
>aperture ring has little notches or slots cut across it in one spot, and as
>each of those notches slides past that little spring-loaded ball, the
>aperture ring has a 'detent' and clicks into place. You can find a new
>little ball bearing of that approximate size at a good hobby shop, in the
>model radio race cars section, or the model airplanes section. Buy a couple
>or a pack of 10, they're easy to drop. I use a small dab of grease to hold
>the ball in place while fitting everything else into place. Is this by any
>change a 50/1.4 with serial # over 1.1million?

In my 50/1.4, I also lost the detent ball into the carpet, but it isn't 1mm,
it's exactly 1/16 inch (0.0625").  I was able to measure its diameter, using a
micrometer, before I lost it trying to install it using tweezers.  I was
pressing the tweezers too tightly, and the ball escaped with a snap.

One sixteenth of an inch is 1.588 mm, or about 1.6 mm, which may not be a
standard metric size.

One can buy 1/16 inch steel balls from bearing supply houses, and from John
Hermanson.

Anyway, the little spring goes into the drilled hole first, followed by the
ball (which will stick up, as it must engage the detent notches).  It's not
that hard to do, actually.  But get a few extra 1/16" balls.

Joe