Re: [OM] I've got myself in a mess because

Subject: Re: [OM] I've got myself in a mess because
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 19:49:33 -0700
There are a bunch of little 'dents' on the back of the ring in front of the aperture ring. There is a hole drilled vertically into the aperture ring. The little spring hides down in the hole. A tiny (1mm?) ball bearing sits on top of the spring and nestles in the 'dents'. When the aperture ring is turned, that pushes the ball down in the hole, compressing the spring until the next detent dent is reached and the ball pops up into the dent, much to the relief of the spring. Sounds like you don't have an extra spring, but are short a ball bearing. Run a magnet over your work area. If you can't find it, I think the same balls are used in the shutter speed detents and on/off/mode switch detents on the cameras and elsewhere in Oly stuff. I'd send you one, but I'm not quite sure about the sizes. They are all small, but I'm not sure they are all the same degree of small.

This is the part one cleans up and relubes when the aperture ring gets stiff, gritty, etc.

If that doesn't help, and you still want to unload it cheap, what's the serial #? Or you can just send it to me and I'll fix it up and send it back, if it's worth that much postage.

Moose

Tom Scales wrote:

The front retaining ring of an awfully nice 50/1.4 unscrewed when I took off
the filter.  EVERYTHING came apart. I believe I understand how to put it
back together, but ...

Isn't there always a BUT?

There are not any 'detents' anymore. And there is an extra little spring.

Any hints?

Tom
P.S. Anybody want an awfully nice lens (plus that extra little spring)
cheap? Lens stops down just fine.