re:[OM] Household cleaner, was Ranking of alcohols by aggressiveness

Subject: re:[OM] Household cleaner, was Ranking of alcohols by aggressiveness
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 09:12:56 -0700

>>I wonder what a silicone-based cleaner/polish can be used for.  I mean
>>stuff called Mr Sheen which is a household cleaner.   I use it for
>>tarting up lenses prior to sending them to the lucky recipient.  It
>>provides a nice black finish.  But would it hurt a coated glass surface
>>or produce unwelcome reflections or refractions?

I doubt it would hurt anything but in my experience silicon based
products do leave a reflective sheen so I wouldn't get it near a lens
surface. And once silicon is on something it is near impossible to
remove. There are silicon containing automotive products made for
windshields to exploit the hydrophobic (and just about everything else
...phobic) properties of silicon. These do leave a sheen and I can't be
positively sure if it's the silicon or something else in the product but
this is probably true of your Mr. Sheen and other products too.

FWIW Tri chloro ethane(sp?) (TCE) is the solvent used to clean up
silicon. A nasty ozone depleter and no longer readily available thank
goodness.

>>>Armorall (sic) is also pretty good for plastics.  It will even tend to
>>>blend out chips or scratches in Samsonite luggage!

A better alternative I've found is the stuff that is used to repair
scratches in plastic eyeglass lenses. It comes in little squeeze bottles
like lens cleaner. Another cheaper alternative is the stuff sold to take
the scratches out of plexiglas aircraft windshields. I'd use armorall on
luggage or the vinyl top of your '67 Buick but that's about it.

Mike

>>tarting up lenses

I love it!