RE: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl

Subject: RE: [OM] ethyl or isopropyl
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:25:10 +0100
I suspect it's another linguistic issue we have here.

Most UK DIY stores will sell "Meths", but won't have a clue what "methanol"
is (still less that they sell it).

Equally, most supermarkets sell vodka, but would probably deny that they
sell ethanol!

Best not to confuse the two.  And if you do, the antidote to meths poisoning
is copious amount of ethanol.  So when you have finished communing with your
maker on the white porcelain telephone, you can explain it away as sensible
precautions against meths poisoning (hic). But NB - YMMV.

Piers