[OM] fisheye and shift lenses

Subject: [OM] fisheye and shift lenses
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:08:55 -0700
"The 16mm lens has pretty nice aesthetics too. That gently curving front
element, nearly the diameter of the lens, has a graceful beauty to it. YMMV,
but the 24mm shift gets much more use. Given how useful I find the shift
lenses, I'm surprised everyone doesn't have a 35mm shift."

When I traveled for Bendix, the 16mm fisheye got a lot of use. Used
appropriately, you can distort the subject in a spectacular way, or take in
an extremely wide field without much obvious distortion.

On the other hand, a shift lens is not of much use if you don't take a lot
of architectural shots (indoor or outdoor). It _is_ nice to look at (the
24mm is nothing short of spectacular). Just be careful you don't drool on
the front element...