[OM] Name these defects

Subject: [OM] Name these defects
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:15:21 -0400
<sigh>

I spent almost of the whole weekend shooting and scanning stuff to sell on
ebay.  I was using Fuji 400 (maybe a year out of date?)
under 4 flourescent lights at 1 second at f4 on a tripod.

I ran the urls through tinyurl.com and it did its part.  I tested them before I
posted though and Yahoo! rejects the redirection.
<sigh>  It's been that kind of project.

I have to reshoot the whole thing.  The negs have big blotches on them that I
think are globs of dirt.
http://photos.yahoo.com/jlamadoo

Look at the image called "no solut..."
It looks like the negs were dried in a dust storm.  Have you guys ever seen
worse than this?

In the 2nd image, reciproc

at the top, there are two longitudinal scratches.  There's a yellow one (in the
positive) and a cyan, one.  There are other
scratches near the middle.

What has me stumped is the grit.  This is 400 speed film.  Is this grain?  At
the top of the frame (where the density is a bit
higher, the noise is magenta.  Near the bottom where the density is lighter the
grain is cyan.  Is this evidence that the scanner is
acting up?  I don't think I've seen grain change colors based on what it is
*near.  (?)

I think the 1 second exposure under flourescents is just a very bad mix.  Maybe
it's a reciprocity failure combined with old film
and very bad processing.  I took for granted the quality of the processing and
I was guessing about the film's age.  Dumb.  Must
start again.

Besides that, nothing is sharp.  It was sharp, very sharp in the viewfinder and
the PC prefires both the aperture and mirror, but I
think the wobbly old Bogen 3020 (old!) legs have wobbled for their last time.

Lastly, I shot a whole collection of OM-4 literature but I was using the 90
macro and very flat light.  That's two mistakes in one
shot.  The combination made this impressive collection of literature look like
handbills on a wall.  There was no shading to show
the curls of the paper and the perspective smashed it all down.

Except for the care in placing all of these items on the tabletop, I made every
mistake in the book!

Feel my pain!

Lama