[OM] [OT] eBay scam?

Subject: [OM] [OT] eBay scam?
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 21:27:23 -0400
I may have been stung.

I *really* wanted a copy of John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature". I saw one for
sale by a somewhat suspect seller (details when this settles out) and
decided to risk a few bucks and see what happens. I BIN it and send Paypal
for about USD 21.

Sure enough a few days later a book arrives. But it's "The Photographer's
Guide to using Filters" by Joseph Meehan. Nice book but not what I want. I
send a polite email asking for my book and offering to either send this one
back at his expense or pay USD 8 for it. I get the following ...

> DO U HAVE THE MAILER IT WAS SENT IN??

> PLEASE MARK REFUSED AND DROP IN MAIL BOX, WILL FIND ITS WAY
> BACK TO US HERE.....XXXX OFF YOUR NAME/ADDRESS, MAKESURE
> VIEWPOINT IS VISIBLE.

> AM OFF ON A TRIP OUT OF NY FOR 4 days - WILL POST THE CLOSEUPS IN NATURE TO U
> WHEN I GET BACK

> sorry for mistake here... FILTER BOOK COST US $ 13. SO IF
> U WANT TO READ FOR A FEW HOURS FINE, OTHERWISE WOULD NEED IT
> BACK BEFORE ANY CORRECTION MADE...

Anybody know whether this is a legit way to return it and a good idea? Any
Canadians know whether this works between here and the US?

BTW, this guy keeps getting kicked off eBay. He claims it's because he sold
some adult material last year. He pops back up with a new ID and about a
dozen positive feedbacks, but when you examine them he's always the buyer
and the items are all about a dollar.

As I said, this was an experiment and I'm only out a few bucks at most. But
it does feel icky to get scammed - hadn't counted on that...

Andrew