Re: [OM] Om 50F1.2 focuses beyond infinity?

Subject: Re: [OM] Om 50F1.2 focuses beyond infinity?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:24:15 -0500
First, let's check your lenses on something at least a couple of miles/km away
-- contrary to most formulae, in my experience a few hundred meters won't
suffice.  And are you sure the body is OK?  Have you checked it with several
different lenses?

Also, how far off is it?  If it's just a hair past, that's one thing.  If it's
significantly off, I'd suspect that either the distance ring is/was loose, or
that there is a loose element inside.  To check for a loose element, hold the
lens in your hand with your fingers touching as much of the coupling mechanism
on the rear of the lens as possible -- that means the stop down lever and
knob, the lens lock, and the aperture index pin -- to keep them from
rattling.  Then shake the lens back and forth by your ear.  There will be some
"rattling" naturally, but a loose element usually sounds like a hollow
"thock".