Re: [OM] Starter camera -- OM-G -- thou art disparaging my camera!

Subject: Re: [OM] Starter camera -- OM-G -- thou art disparaging my camera!
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:35:09 +0200
On Mon, 26 May 2003 16:03:43 -0500
"Tom Albright" <n5ksk3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas Clausen wrote:
>
> > It is an excellent camera and probably Tom is right about his
> > best"value for money". My only "issues" with it is, that the
> > viewfinder information (as with all 2-digit bodies) is tailored
> > for apeture-priority auto and offers little for manual exposure.
> >
> > For the reason that it does not offer very good viewfinder
> > assistance for manual exposure, I'd say that while it is
> > excellent for backup and/or an advanced P&S, it's not a very good
> > "learning camera"...the OM1 is still unsurpased for that, I
> > think. This holds imo for all om10-20-30-40: the lack of good
> > viewfinder support for manual exposire is their biggest "flaw".
> >

> That's what all the moving parts on the outside of the camera are
> for!  A viewfinder on the most expensive camera is useless if you
> don't learn how to twiddle the knobs!

Still, it is nice to have that little needle in the OM1, which
indicates how much you over/underexpose when "twiddeling the knobs"
on the outside of the camera. The procedure of looking through the
viewfinder, getting a reading of the light-meter, taking the camera
from the eye to "twiddle the knobs" and then back to compose just
seems silly. However that is how it is in manual mode OM10-20-30-40.

In my not so humble opinion, the build-in meter on the 10-20-30-40 us
almost useless for manual exposure mode, since it causes that silly
movement of the camera from the eye to check how the "knobs" have
been "tweedled".

I'd still say that the viewfinder of the OM1 is optimal for learning
to "tweedle the knobs", since it gives feedback on how the
"tweedeling" affects what the camera assumes to be correct exposure.
The double-digits do not give such feedback.

The double-digits, I guess, were designed for being primarilly used
in apeture-priority auto mode, where the feedback in the viewfinder
(the shutter speed selected by the camera) is absolutely appropriate.

--thomas

> - Tom

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)