[OM] (Fwd) HammerSnipe Security Update - Please Read Immediately!

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) HammerSnipe Security Update - Please Read Immediately!
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:23:56 -0400
This is what I got from Hammersnipe:

Date sent:              Mon, 26 May 2003 08:18:12 -0500
From:                   asnsecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:                     tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

CONFIRMATION:  To verify the validity of this email, please visit our website
and view either the System Status page or the News page.

Dear Tom Trottier (abacurial),

In February of 2003, the Slammer Worm (virus) caused major problems for both
large and small internet companies.  During that time, we discovered an active
attack against our system and informed our customers.  We acted quickly and
closed down the threat.   This week, however, we learned that some eBay
passwords were compromised.

Some of you received an email stating that your credit card information has
been stolen.  Rest assured, YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION HAS NOT been
jeopardized as it is not part of our records.  The only item that may have been
compromised is your eBay password.

determined that there are no current security holes and the last time any
existed was approximately four months ago.  We have taken additional steps to
improve our existing security measures and performance.  There are no security
deficiencies that would put your information and our systems at risk.

To protect yourself CHANGE YOUR EBAY PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY and any other
password that is the same as your eBay password.  This is quick and easy.

Below are the steps required to change your eBay password:

--  Sign In to your eBay account with your current login username and password
--  Click on the My eBay link
--  Click on the Preferences tab
--  Click on the "Change my Password" link (You may need to login again)
--  Enter your new password, confirm your new password, and then submit the
form
--  You will receive an email from eBay confirming your password change shortly

After you have changed your eBay password, login to our website and update your
password within the Your Profile section.  This will ensure that your bids are
placed properly.

We will always do everything we can to protect our customers and the integrity
of our corporation.  Please contact us if you have any questions, and we will
be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

HammerSnipe Security Team

---------
2003 Jun 28-30 in Ottawa:
http://www.CanadianCameraConference.ca
tOM Trottier,   ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980