[OM] Shops to avoid..

Subject: [OM] Shops to avoid..
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:57:05 -0600
 My XA had oil on the magnet -- I'd cleaned it off myself a couple of times,
but it seemed worth getting it looked at by someone who knew what they were
doing.

 So, I took it to 'Foto Instrument Services Ltd' here in Auckland for a
general CLA. A couple of weeks pass, and it's time to go and pick it up.

 First: there's a little note attached saying 'needs new PCB, couldn't
repair, no charge'. Fair enough, I guess -- I'm sure it's hard to get those
parts.

 _But_.. what was previously a perfectly functional, if occasionally sticky,
camera now:

 1. only ever shoots at about 1/500th, regardless of what the meter reads.
 2. The meter itself is a lot stickier and less likely to change than it was
before
 3. Oh, and while they were at it, they knocked the rangefinder completely
out of alignment both horizontally (so I can't focus) and vertically (so
that even when the two images do match up horizontally, there's a vertical
shift between the two).

 So, I took it back -- the guy said "oh, it's could be a coincidence that it
stopped working at the same time as I was looking at it", which I have some
serious doubts about -- he's going to have another go, but I suspect at this
point I'm basically going to end up minus one camera..

 Assuming he _has_ broken it beyond his abilities to fix, what are the
chances of me being able to fix whatever it was that he did myself?

 -- dan