[OM] Re: ( OM ) OT Acrobat (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT Acrobat (long)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:40:12 +1200
Thanks to the many people who have replied on and off the list to my
question of wanting to buy a surplus copy of Acrobat 3 (pdf writer)

And before I forget - OM content - the book has several OM images in it.

And to reply to some helpful suggestions in the digest I have just opened
(not the very last one) my experience with Linux ( I gave it a good try over 2
years) was a disaster and I'm not keen to go down that road again. Total
waste of time for me and probably wrecked a very good monitor as well. Not
to mention many countless and uncounted hours.

I have Windows 95 on a somewhat small Pentium 75 system and don't have
the luxury of being able to change to another system such as MAC.

I have been looking (and still am) at third party pdf writers. There seems to
be promise there.

Ghostscript. This is like going back to Linux territory. When you get to the
source directories there is a large and confusing array of files to chose from
and NO indication of which mates with what. Hopeless. Linux people seem
to love playing around with programs and don't bother explaining anything to
people who haven't been around since the year dot. While I was right into
that kind of activity at one time, right NOW I just want to find a package that
WORKS with too much stuffing around. And when I found a file that DID
explain which is a good combination, the files had all been removed and
replaced with others.

My book is now in two parts, the larger being 31.5 MB which Word 6 can
handle fine on my machine. Too large to consider e-mailing anywhere,
thanks. I just want to make it unchangeable on my machine, and a pdf file
should do that IF I can find a good one. pdf955 seemed good once I worked
through the problems with support, but it screws up the font I used (Tahoma)
when output to a printer.

Here's what I'm faced with (apologies to those who have already seen this).

The problem is that the "Acrobat 4" that I have doesn't integrate with Word 6
like it is supposed to do.  I have Word 6 on my W'95 Pentium75 machine,
and it works fine.  I suspect that Acrobat 3 will integrate OK, so I am looking
for a copy to buy.

However I need to put the file(s) on a CDROM to take to the printer ( Canon
photocopier at UBIX in the centre of town - this is a book with a 32MB Word6
file ) and my machine doesn't have a CDROM writer. I convert the file to pdf
to prevent different versions of Word making a mess of the formatting - which
they do. The printing people also have a version of Word which I want to stay
well clear of.

So I moved it (via spanned zip file on floppies) to my daughter's high-powered
machine which has Word 8a, and a CDwriter. Word 8a screwed up again ( I
think mainly due to it not having some fonts I have available to Word6 - fixed
that). Installed Acrobat 4 on daughter's machine. Works fine. But the
resultant file has screwed up formatting which requires a LOT of work to fix.

The printed output (170 pages) has cost me a lot of time and some more
money I don't want to spend, due to screwed-up formatting..

I am actively investigating other (non-Adobe) pdf writing programs. Adobe are
NO help at all in trying to get a copy of Acrobat 3. They are very poor
communicators if you don't live in the USA or Canada. Their local agents are
worse than useless.

Cheers, and thanks for listening. I feel a little better already. Brian