Re: re:[OM] good repair persons?

Subject: Re: re:[OM] good repair persons?
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:33:42 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Garth Wood" <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 21 May, 2003 12:20 PM
Subject: re:[OM] good repair persons?

> At 07:30 AM 5/21/2003 -0700, Mike wrote:
> > >

> > >Nope, they moved, just not far.  Used to be right on Westlake. Now up
on
> > 513
> > >Dexter Ave. N., just north (3, 4 blocks?) of Denny Way, just east
> > immediately
> > >across Hwy 99 from the Space Needle (REAL close to where Mercer St.
dips
> > >under 99)......
> > >
> > >P.S.  Speaking of Eastlake, go up Eastlake Ave. to the new REI
store....

> >Thanks for the info Rich. i occasionally have to go to the big city on
> >business and am always hoping for enough time for a stop at REI or
> >somewhere like Glazer's but my extra time is mostly spent stuck in
> >traffic :>(
>

> Mike:
>
> Since you're so close to the border with us Canucks, next time you're in
> Vancouver Canada drop into the MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) Store if you
> haven't already done so.  Same idea as REI, but (IMNSHO) better quality
and
> lower prices (and more "hard-core" stuff, if you know what I
> mean).  Selection can be greater than REI in some respects, lesser in
> others.  (I found a pair of super-lightweight gloves in the downtown
> Seattle REI last August that didn't have an exact match at MEC --
> otherwise, I would've simply gone to the MEC ten minutes from my house.)
>

> Garth

While MEC is the largest store of its type in Vancouver if not in Canada
[it's on West Broadway, a few blocks west of "centre" street, otherwise
called Ontario Street]  there are several similar stores in the immediate
area concentrating on particular niche markets, for example cycling. Without
a doubt MEC is a "must" destination for anyone interested in outdoor
recreational activities. The only other outlet I have been to that comes
anywhere near MEC is LL Bean in Freeport, Maine. However, LL Bean is
targetted more towards the upscale well healed SUV / Range Rover crowd in
comparison!

jh