Smoking and OM's Re: [OM] <changed>

Subject: Smoking and OM's Re: [OM] <changed>
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 04:48:28 +0200
On Tue, 20 May 2003 19:40:56 -0700
Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  ...But it's nothing that a few days in the open air
> >won't cure....
> >
> Maybe for a book but not a house. I've been involved in projects
> costing several tens of thousands of dollars just to get rid of the
> smell and gross tarlike build up.  Not a pretty sight. If you saw
> it you'd reconsider starting back up.

In a past life, I was doing some unix administration work at an
university. One (now retired) "reading professor" (somewhere between
associate and full professor) was a heavy smoker (and drinker, btw)
in his office. He would, litterally, manage to "smoke out" two
keyboards/year and one Unix workstation/year. It would simply get
full of whatever his cigarettes let out and suffucate to death. Now,
the workstations were build by Sun, and generally would last 10+
years in any other environment (I have a Sun Sparc Classic which is
still running....I'd say it's about 15 years old, its last reboot was
in 1998 when it was moved).

Interrestingly, this guy is now 75+ years old. When he retired, he
had never had a sick-day, and he is still healthy and in full
activity today...still smoking, still drinking :)

OM-related: I inherited a long while ago some old OM stuff from a
friend migrating to C*n*n E*S, which came in a nice camera bag. It
took weeks to get the gear clean and non-smelly and I had to toss the
bag out since it wouldn't stop smelling. Still, I did not complain:
it included a 100/2.8 and a 200/4, and was free :)

Anyways, the subject was slightly offensive to those who choose to
exercise their right to choose to smoke, so I took the liberty to
change it :)g

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering