[OM] Many new trip shots, and some more 500mm samples

Subject: [OM] Many new trip shots, and some more 500mm samples
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 20:02:03 EDT
Dan, great Hawaii shots.  It makes me long for Hawaii.  Your shot
"arriving_2.jpg" (you are flying "makai", or south, toward the ocean, and
looking "Ewa" or east); is looking down at the National Cemetary of the
Pacific, popularly known as "Punchbowl"... it's in an extinct crater.  That
big white marble monument holds the Polynesian-looking face of "Lady
Columbia" you see in the opening credits to "Hawaii 5-0."    A very moving
place to visit, as well as a great viewpoint from which to shoot photos of
downtown Honolulu & the state capitol building.  WWII correspondent Ernie
Pyle is buried here, as is astronaut Ellison Onizuka, who died aboard the
Space Shuttle Challenger; many of the famed 442nd, etc.  Next time you go
Honolulu, mo bettah you visit Punchbowl, brah.

You took that pic just about directly above where we lived in the Makiki
District at the base of Tantalus, which is where you went for your "jungle
climb" and the great view across the Manoa Valley (home of U.H.) towards
Diamond Head ("diamond_head_1.jpg").

Here's a closer view of Punchbowl looking "Diamond Head":

http://www.nps.gov/usar/photos2/PC-44517.htm

I think your "arriving_1.jpg" is Ewa Beach and Barbers Point, just west of
Pearl Harbor.  Barbers Point is where the Naval Air Station and Coast Guard
Air Station are.  People in Honolulu use "Ewa" to give directions for west...
 "Diamond Head" for east, "mauka" for towards the mountains, "makai" for
towards the ocean.  Who needs N,E,S,W?

Rich (I shouldn't have looked at them... sigh)