Re: [OM] The Crucial Sentence

Subject: Re: [OM] The Crucial Sentence
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 02:03:25 -0700
Well, that's fine for Mike and the seriously goal oriented. but a bit too serious for me. I'm not trying to make a living at photography or win contests. I prefer "I derive considerable pleasure out of photography and I may continue to do it as long as it's fun."

On the assumption that you would like comments on the pictures you posted, I do see one thing that you might consider to improve your casual portraits. Pay more attention to the backgrounds. I know this is difficult to do, because the people are the subject of your interest. It's also hard to 'see' photos of loved ones in the way others will 'see' them. However, it is sometimes hard to see them as the real central subject in some of these photos because of distracting backgrounds. Most of the shots have backgrounds that are somewhat brighter up to very much brighter than the subject(s), literally overshadowing the subject(s). A couple have bright, geometrical background features that intersect the subject's head and pull away the proper emphasis on the person as central to the image.

Lighting on the subject's face is also worth keeping in mind. In "ari_kimono", for example, brighter light from both sides creates an odd shadow down the center of the face. Turning your daughter to one side (preferable to her left, to get a darker background), using a reflector (even a newspaper), fill flash, etc. could turn a great family snapshot into a very good portrait.

Moose

Richard F. Man wrote:

Mike Johnston says in his latest column <http://luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-03-05-11.shtml> says that a crucial sentence a photographer needs to make is "I have a passion for ____________ and my goal is to _____________."

Here's mine:

I have a passion for taking "informal" portraits and my goals are to capture my daughters' moments as they grow up and to take better pictures of costumers in SF/Anime conventions.