[OM] Cosina/Voigtlander SL 40/2 for OM vs Zuiko 40/2

Subject: [OM] Cosina/Voigtlander SL 40/2 for OM vs Zuiko 40/2
From: Stephen Rosenblum <srosenblum@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 21:53:47 -0400
Yesterday I wandered around a local park and shot a roll of identical photos with these two lenses using same aperture/etc.. It may not be the greatest test because I shot negative film (Reala) and so the minilab printing certainly could confound the results. I was just trying to get an idea of whether I could see any difference even in 4x6 snapshots.

The verdict: the CV 40/2 is noticably sharper and has better contrast than the Zuiko 40/2. I can read the small lettering on tshirts and signs clearly with the CV lens and things like hair are much more finely rendered. This is probably no surprise to anyone as the CV is a modern apochromatic design and the Zuiko is not renowned for its resolution but rather for its compact size. Still, given the stratospheric prices of the Zuiko 40/2 lately it is nice to know that there is an excellent less expensive alternative available for those who like the 40mm focal length. The CV does weigh 100 grams more, but still is quite compact and feels well matched to my OM4t. The focus ring turns the opposite of Zuiko lenses but that didn't bother me at all, probably because I haven't had much time to get used to my OM gear yet.