[OM] OT Today in History

Subject: [OM] OT Today in History
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 07:41:11 EDT
Sean wrote:
snip
>there was
>plenty to keep me occupied such as fly fishing or rock climbing in the
>slide
snip

Sean, I just happened across a CBC News broadcast about the Frank Slide the
other night.  The commentary was that the mountain is still very unstable and
another slide is very possible at any time.  The helicopter flyover of the
summit was positively scary: the whole mountain is nothing but a huge pile of
fractured rubble, looking as if it could fall apart at any moment.  I
wouldn't live anywhere NEAR that mountain, let alone climb on it!

They are going to install earthquake sensors on the mountain this year, which
may help provide SOME warning in case of earthquake to those who still live
at its base.  The "big one" is usually preceeded by minor tremors that go
unnoticed by most folks.  Catastrophic failure is another matter.

Rich (who regularly goes up to Mt. Rainier, another 14,410 ft. high pile of
fractured rubble, and witnesses rock slides and ice falls  -- and counts on
the sensors to warn days in advance of the BIG one)