[OM] Hummers: film or digital?

Subject: [OM] Hummers: film or digital?
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:30:37 -0400
At 21:09 29-04-03 +0800, C.H.Ling wrote:
> [...]

One needs to compare apples to apples. I want to record fine grain hummer
images at apertures f/16 - f/32. Digital cameras still require bright flash in
order to do that. The benefits of digital technology include: fast "shutter"
speeds, ability to assess/process images in the field immediately, high dynamic
range, etc.

>> If you put their TCON-300 teleconverter on the front of it, you'll have a
>35mm equivalent 420mm, f2.8 lens!
>>
>> This sounds like the ultimate "hummer hunter" to me!
>
>Although I'm not sure but most likely with the T-Con 300 you will only get
>good working distance but not enough magnificaion.

Excellent lenses exist for digital cameras that allow full-frame close-ups
covering 4"x6" with good working distance. However to obtain quality with
digital media that rivals fine grain film, you do have to spend some bucks.
Someday when my film scanner inevitably dies, it will probably push me over the
edge to digital, but one issue that concerns me is that I think digital photo
equipment loses resale value very quickly. OM equipment will retain value,
because there will be a core of film enthusiasts and collectors for many years.
Any thoughts on this?

--
Matt BenDaniel
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx