[OM] leaf shutter

Subject: [OM] leaf shutter
From: Matt BenDaniel <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:49:11 -0400
At 18:03 27-04-03 -0700, Moose wrote:
>...Another solution to this particular problem is cameras with radial leaf
>shutters in the lens. This allows x-synch at any speed, so the flash/ambient
>ratio can be controlled with shutter speed. Since the major exposure comes
>from a very short duration flash, the fact that these shutters rarely even
>meet their maximum speed of 1/500 sec. is no problem. This is generally the
>domain of in lens shutters on MF and LF cameras. I'm pretty sure I've seen
>where someone mounted a large size shutter in front of a 35mm SLR lens for
>some purpose or other. Not hard to do, but an awkward setup to operate, unless
>a dedicated camera body were to have its curtains disabled to leave then open
>all the time. A MF camera with appropriate leaf shutter lens sounds easier.

Moose,

I use Pentax 67 cameras extensively for astrophotography, but I have not
purchased the 165/4 LS lens, which has a sync speed of 1/500s. I determined
that it would not be a good solution for hummers, because:

1) For full frame hummer shots, the 165/4 by itself does not provide enough
magnification.
2) The 165/4 instructions specifically say: in LS mode do not use any
teleconverter (or extension tubes).
3) In standard sync mode, the Pentax 67 syncs at only 1/30s.
4) Perhaps use of a closeup lens could be optically correct, but then to get
1:2 magnification, the working distance would be only 1 foot. (Actually in the
past I managed to shoot almost within 1 foot of feeding hummers with a 90/2,
but you have to be a statue).

An OM-4 with a 300mm lens is a better tool for the job.

There are newer non-OM film and digital cameras which would be better still,
but I'm trying not to think about that right now.
--
Matt BenDaniel
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx