Re: [OM] Butterflies of Costa Rica

Subject: Re: [OM] Butterflies of Costa Rica
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:27:06 -0700
Certainly some lovely images.

I visited the butterfly farm (there was only one then) when I was in Costa Rica about 10 yrs ago. As I recall, I only got a few decent butterfly shots because I really didn't have the right equipment. No tripod, macro lens or flash. The netting over the enclosure gave a nice even, rather diffuse light, but not all that bright. A huge blue Morpho tagged along above our river raft for some time another day, but I had no camera along for that rough and very wet ride.

The other thing I found out is that there is an equally diverse group of moths in CR, at least in the cloud forest. At Rara Avis, they put out a pressure lamp on the an open balcony in the evening and it attracts quite an extensive array of moths.

Moose

Matt BenDaniel wrote:

Earlier this month I went to Costa Rica with an OM-4T, 135/4.5 and T20. I spent
about three hours over two days shooting butterflies at a botanical garden.
Here's what I've put up on the web so far. Comments welcome. I think the
coolest shot is the Owl Butterfly closeup.