Re: [OM] heavy NPS users?

Subject: Re: [OM] heavy NPS users?
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:42:49 -0700
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:12:31 -0800, Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you like the Fuji look then there's nothing wrong with NPS at all. NPC might also be worth a tumble if greater contrast is a want.

I've only tried NPS, and since NPC is more punchy, I'm not sure if i wanna go that way; certainly not a good time to experiment by shooting the real deal on something i'm not familiar with :) (done it before, sometime works, sometimes it bites back)

I'm curious: is your shoot going to be completely outdoors? Indoors with flash? I ask because of the relatively slow speed of your chosen emulsion- -I have a personal bias against using flash unless it is absolutely imperative that I do so (i.e., there is no other way to make the picture) . With that in mind you might consider carrying a roll or two of NPH 400 or NPZ 800 (I haven't worked with the latter stock yet, but everything I've read and seen of it is thumbs up--again, with that "Fuji look" in mind) for indoor work--or even Fujipress 1600 if yet another stop would be needed.

the main function is all indoors. i'm not sure what kind of lighting is there, but somehow i doubt it's gonna be enough to get handhold speeds even on 400, and while NHGII is a fine 800 speed film, it prolly won't be as pretty. that said, even if i handheld on NHGII, there would be no sparkle in the eyes in anyone. so a diffused flash might give it some pop.

For myself, I prefer the more laid-back look of Portra when it comes to rendering flesh tones, but that's strictly personal taste at work.

I like fuji since i get fuji processing, everything on the newest Frontier 390 machine for prints and CD (2MP scans)

--
/S