[OM] vignetting

Subject: [OM] vignetting
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:02:37 -0500
Here's my take:

Vignetting, as in the inability of a lens to cover a specified area evenly,
is worse at wide apertures. Your superwide angles show this particularly in
shots with large sky areas. Usually, two or three stops down from wide open
will do the trick.

Vignetting, as in a hood or filter ring making black arcs at the corners (or
worse), is worse as you stop down, since increasing the dof makes the
intruder more noticable.

If someone wants to test this, I have a 35/2 with factory hood, and a 28-48
without. Please send the 28-48 hood to me, and I will conduct extensive
tests. Be advised these tests may require years.

Bill Pearce