[OM] Update: Hitting the Road

Subject: [OM] Update: Hitting the Road
From: chris@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:43:43 -0600
Just a quick update for those who are curious about how Cori and I
are doing regarding our plan to hit the road....

With much effort, we've now reduced our debts to the point where
we'll be debt-free by this Fall instead of next spring, as original
planned.  We're now in the process of selling-off most of our worldly
possessions, and have learned a great deal in recent weeks about
the joys of holding a garage sale.

A couple of weeks ago, we sold our 18 ft. travel trailer (too small to
live in full-time).  The van (too big to tow behind the RV) is still for
sale.  Anybody need a 1981 Chevy Astro van in *really* nice
shape???  :-)

At about the same time the travel trailer left the backyard, we got one
heck of a deal on a 28 ft. class "A" motorhome.  The money from
selling-off the Olympus collection pretty much covered that.  It needs
a tiny bit of work, so I'm in the process of getting it in shape.  Should
have that done in 'nuther month or so.

Once all the possessions are gone, we'll start on a few renovations
on the house to get it ready to sell.  Fortunately, we'll be able to
move into the RV while that's being done.  Last Fall, we lived in the
house while we worked on it.... I *won't* do *that* ever again!  :-)

In short, our original plan was to hit the road sometime early next
year, or next spring.  But, because we've done so well in getting
ready, it looks like we "might" be ready to hit the road by September!
That complicates matters a little bit in that our wedding is planned
(hall booked, caterer arranged, etc.) for November here in
Edmonton.  So, we're debating whether we should hang out 'round
here, living in the RV in a local campground, or just cancel the
formalities, get hitched quick, and go?

Regarding work camping opportunities (we DO have to eat, ya
know!), we're talking with a year-round resort in Tennessee 'bout a
winter manager's position starting in December.  Sounds like an
interesting job and very nice country!  Again, the timing is a bit off,
particularly if we hit the road in September, but maybe we can pick-
up something short-term to fill the gap?  We'll know more about
whether Tennessee is a "go" in July or August.

So, anyway, all is progressing VERY well, and we're VERY excited
about hitting the road.  At the same time, we've been VERY busy
getting ready, and it seems like the to do list grows by two tasks
everytime we complete one task.  :-)  Oh, well...  we'll get it all done
sooner or later!

Will keep everyone posted, as events transpire....

Regards,

Chris