[OM] damaged zoom?

Subject: [OM] damaged zoom?
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:27:00 GMT
I bought a 35-70 / 3.6 by mail order and just received the lens. I think
that it is probably damaged, but want to be sure before taking it back.
The first point is that the zoom ring stops about 2 or 3mm before the 70
mark reaches the white indicator line. Secondly, moving the zoom ring
towards the 50 mark starts to push the front elements out, but if I
reverse the direction back towards 70 there's about 2mm of movement of the
ring before the front elements start to move back in, as if there is some
free play in the mechanism before it starts to do anything. Finally, with
the lens at its most compact (focus infinity, zoom 70) I can move the
front element in and out by about 1mm by holding the lens cap and applying
gentle pressure.

The lens is from Jessops' used department, a national UK chain, so there
will be no problem in taking it back to my local branch. It would be good
to know how the lens I have differs from a perfect example before I do.

Thanks

James