[OM] Sharper Image

Subject: [OM] Sharper Image
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:25:42 -0500
I've not seen the Sharper Image version, but owned something similar. It was
made in Germany, and I believe the brand name was Reflecta. Perhaps a German
member can be of some help here? It had its good points and bad. My
experience was this:
First, it used European style slide trays. I can get along with the fact
that the only thing that holds slides in the tray is gravity (yes, I've
dumped a few), but obtaining them here is a task. Second, it wasn't the
greatest projector ever made. the motor that operated the tray advance was
the same one that ran the fan, and it was so small that the fan stopped each
time it advanced. third, the lens wasn't the greatest, about like the ones
on a lower end Carousel. And fourth, the built-in viewing screen was, to put
it lightly, dim. Fifth, and finally, it was made of plastic. Lots of
plastic. After about ten years (infinite product life in American consumer
product years), it simply fell to pieces. It now resides in a local
landfill.

On the other hand, it was really handy. I found I used the built-in screen
more than a big one. I would buy one in a minute if it was better made.

On the Sharper Image: I've noticed a lot of stuff there that I've seen in
bottom end discount stores. Although they do have some quality products, I
don't think their general stuff is very well made.

Bill Pearce