[OM] Re: photoshop questions

Subject: [OM] Re: photoshop questions
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:42:52 -0700
>From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>My wife just had some large art work scanned and is having it made into
>prints, cards etc. I gave her a blank CD so she could get the file.
>Well, my CD wasn't compatible with the computers at the print shop, they
>use macs, we use windose.

A blank CD is a blank CD! Unless it isn't REALLY blank. Did you insert it in
your burner? If so, Windows may have written on it already -- certainly if it
appeared as a writable drive.

>So if they burn a CD for her will it be
>compatible in Windose?

Probably not. I make Windows CDs for clients, but I charge three times as much,
since Windows users are three times less likely to be able to read them, even
when they are in "standard" ISO-9660 format, which is SUPPOSED TO BE the "least
common denominator" file system.

(The only complaint I get from Mac users with ISO-9660 disks are, "Can't you
make longer file names?" :-)

>What should I specify?

ISO-9660. Then pray. If they're smart, you can ask for "Joliet extensions,"
which was one standard that Microsoft honored for a while on their relentless
path to "embrace, embellish, and extinguish" all standards they come in contact
with.

>Actually I would like to
>get the Photshop file  which includes the work already done in getting
>ready to print. It should then work with my profiles etc., right?

Like all questions of moderate complexity, the answer is, "It depends." :-) If
this is a offset shop, it is probably in CMYK. They may be using OPI, which is
non-profiled. In that case, it may be safe to assume "US sheetfed coated SWOP".
Assign that profile, then convert to your working profile.

By and large, the traditional offset press industry -- especially small shops
-- is very conservative. They're about five years behind the state-of-the-art,
and are generally correcting "by the numbers" without profiles. Many print
shops are still running 680x0 Macs and System 7! They aren't technology freaks,
and generally run something until it breaks and can no longer be fixed.

I just did pre-press for an artist, and sent it to the printer in Acrobat 5
format. They had to send out for a conversion, because the latest they had was
Acrobat 4! (Acrobat 6 has just been announced... :-)

>Does
>my wife own this file or is this added work still the property of the
>print shop? How do you professionals handle this?

It depends on your agreement with the print shop. If she contracted only for
the print, the files are legally internal work product, and are the property of
the print shop. This would be typical and customary in this business. In such a
case, they may be willing to provide you the files as a courtesy, without
guarantee that they'll be useful.
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>