Re: [OM] Storage and Organization of Oly photos.

Subject: Re: [OM] Storage and Organization of Oly photos.
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 14:04:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Bob Fenstermacher wrote:

> Assume that a person scans in his favorites (scanner and printer high on
> want list-coming soon), is there a database program that searches for key
> words  or subjects that is especially designed for photos?

There are quite a number of programs on the market to do just that.  Many of
them are aimed at the "home" market so be sure to do your research on the
capabilities of the program before investing the time to enter all your data.
Usually the programs use a proprietary database which locks you into their
software, moving to another program may be impossible.  The program I always
recommend is IMatch (www.photools.com) since it is able to handle extremely
large databases and has the ability to export your database to XML.  The $50
price tag also makes it extremely affordable.

> How do you go from finding the digital scan to finding the original negative?

All my images are stored in archival pages which go into binders.  I scan
all the images on a page and number the scans starting at one.  I then put all
the scans for that page in a separate directory with a name such as "Page 55".
As I enter the images into the database, I assign a reference id to them such
as "Book 2.55"  That indicates the image is on page 55 in book two.  The name
of the file gives me the scan number on that page.  I also keep all this
information in the IPTC fields in the image so that I can easily locate the
source even without the database application.

> Secondly, How, physically, do you store the negs, 5X7 or 3X5 prints
> (or 8X10s) with the negs?

For storing negatives use archival sheets such as the Print File ones.  I
like to use the double sleeved ones since I always worry about the negatives
getting scratched when inserting and removing them from the sheets.  Put the
sheets in a regular binder and then put them somewhere safe.
                                -mark