Re: [OM] Composition question (light tent)

Subject: Re: [OM] Composition question (light tent)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 12:58:40 -0500
At 5:37 PM +0000 4/5/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 23:37:19 -0800
>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Composition question.
>
>Somebody posted an idea for making shadowless shots of auction items
>that might work for you. He suggested using a white lampshade with 3
>halogen desk lamps lighting it from outside and put the subject inside,
>on a support of suitable height, if needed.

This is a homebrew light tent, and should work, although the lampshade fabric
may make the light warmer than expected.  Depends on the fabric.  Commercial
light tents and white umbrellas claim to use magical fabric that doesn't change
the color temperature of light passing through.  With some digital cameras, one
can just compensate for the effect, so any reasonable white fabric will work.
Use a white object for calibration.

>R. Jackson wrote:
>
> > Is it ethical to ask for advice on a school project? If so, delete
> > this. ;-)
> >
> > We're doing directional light studies right now. I did my overhead,
> > side-light and backlight photos already, but the diffuse light photo
> > is giving me some anxiety. I shot some macro stuff of a snail on an
> > abalone shell on an overcast day last week and it still had pretty
> > deep shadows. Today it was raining and I tried the same thing with my
> > cat as she laid on the bed in the gray (and what seemed generally
> > diffuse) light, but I still got deep shadows. Any suggestions? I'm
> > running out of time...

Google on "photo light tent" for ideas.

Joe Gwinn