Re: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital ...

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Ancient computers - was so digital ...
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 07:16:22 +0200
Made by Marconi as far as I remember. I believe that it was a competitor to
the LEO systems that I worked on at the time, but mostly to the LEO II if
it was valve (tube) based. The LEO III that I started on used paper tape as
its principal input medium; we thought that punched cards were old hat (but
we had card readers and punches of course, and big Ampex tape drives as the
principal storage media.

Later on both LEO and Marconi became part of EELM (English Electric Leo
Marconi) Computers Ltd.

LEO 1 was built in 1951, by the way; see

www.leo-computers.org.uk

Roger Key

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi folks

About 1962 I was studying at a University in the UK. For some classes we
used a computer that had punched paper tape infeed. All else I remember
about it was that it filled two or more rooms in a converted house and was
called "Mercury". I think it was based on valve components. At the time,
just
the bees' knees.

Brian