[OM] Re: [OT] Digilog vs Anotal

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Digilog vs Anotal
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:33:23 +0100
> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:47:06 -0800 (PST)
> From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Digilog vs Anotal
>
> A couple of stray thoughts here:
> 1. Video was supposed to have replaced film stock a couple of
> decades ago.  Are there productions going on using film stock?
> Yes.  Why?  Digital Video is superior in almost every way.  The
> conversion over to video is happening in a big way, but many
> years after the tombstone was chiselled.

I think out of habit.  If Spielberg & his camera people worked with film the
whole time, they're not going to change it now.  But in, say, 25 years when the
new generation of directors that's graduating now takes over, we'll see the
shift.

> 2. Film will remain a viable method of still photography capture
> for some time yet.  Not for everything, but for some segments it
> will remain.  B&W Fine Art Photography being only one of those
> segments.

Absolutely.  Over a hundred years ago, photography was meant to completely
liquidate all painting and drawing, remember ?

> 3. Digital prints equaling wet prints.  It's finally happened
> for me.

This sounds great.  Unfortunately, I'm currently not willing to spend anything
more than 200 euros on computer hardware to improve on prints, particularly
because the cost of paper will get me pretty close to the cost of having my
slides printed.  I'll want to experiment with the computer printer, not with
the shop that's doing my slide prints !  But by the time both my OM-3 and
OM-4Ti wear out, digital will probably be ready for the world :-)

> 7. Contrary redux.  I too, just did a submission where the art
> director specifically requested film because of various hassles
> and quality problems with digital.  This from a publisher that
> handles over 900f the images in digital. (snip) It's been
> two years since I saw these requirements and at least a year
> since I express mailed a tranny.

Yeah, but that's just the hype effect.  Everybody hypes up digital, so
everybody feels they need to switch.  Then everybody gets disappointed, so now
it's back to cool to "hate" digital.  Ah well :-)

Peter.