Re: [OM] Wow....

Subject: Re: [OM] Wow....
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 23:33:50 +0200
I decided to check my 1995 Olympus Denmark price list (recommended prices).
The 100mm f2.8 cost 4,645 DKK (incl. 25ales tax). The exchange rate in
1995 was about 8DKK = 1USD. That would give a price without tax of 465 USD;
very close to the eBay price in question.

I have to admit that when I originally acquired the price list, I thought
that noone would ever pay those prices!

I also noticed that the 24mm shift lens that now costs 20,000 DKK from
Photografica (ex- Olympus Europe), cost 25,585 DKK in 1995.

Photografica have not published a catalogue/price list of all the bits that
they got from Olympus Europe yet, by the way (I was there today). I noticed
a new T45 Flash, and a Macro Flash Ring (50USD incl. tax) that I had not
seen before...

Roger Key, Copenhagen

Jim Brokaw wrote:

Well, I don't see this as truly out of line if the lens was -really- a
brand
new never sold in the box lens. What would that lens have cost at a typical
camera store back when OM's and Zuiko's were widely available new? I think
the prices of brand new lenses still available at B & H and such are pretty
high, I think they want ~$300-some for a 24/2.8, and much more than that as
I recall for the 21/2.0 or 16/3.5. If we consider that the buyer might
-only- be interested in a *new* item, the pool of available pieces gets
much
smaller... supply shrinks, demand drives prices up. Look at the Leica
collectors if you want to see -real- price dementia! "New in the box" can
be
300% more than 'nearly perfect used' items...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...