Re: [OM] To buy or not to buy (now long)

Subject: Re: [OM] To buy or not to buy (now long)
From: "Boris Grigorov" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 07:47:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc:
Charles,
I can't comment on the innerworkings, would leave this to the professionals
like John, but owning an OM1 and OM PC I can tell you that the former feels
more solid in your hands and if I were in situation to defend myself, I would
use the OM 1 as a weapon...but I really like the grip the PC has.  It feels
very, very comfortable.
When it comes to picture quality, I have come up with my own theory (which
might be wrong...lol) that any contemporary camera in good condition would take
excellent pictures.  The important element is what you are going to put in
front of it, or in other words, what lens you are going to use.  This doesn't
seem to be true anymore.  For example at one point I wanted the E20 really bad
(and would have bought it if I had the money at the time).  In a review of it
in a magazine called "Digital Photo", the autor of the article ended it with "
this is a camera for a middleage men that do not believe that a good sharp
picture cannot be taken with a prosumer digicam".  I have heard similar
comments from different sources since and tend to think that this statement
holds some truth.  Go back to my theory and you would find the possible reason.
 Some of those, Minolta Dimage 7 comes to mind, have superb optics.
Back to the OM quality of pictures.  It seems to me that the OM PC was designed
to operate primarily in Program mode.  Quality of the pictures rivals, but when
it comes to Manual, it is a different story.  The metering is o.k. in daylight,
but do not bother taking pictures at dusk or in situations where you need
longer exposures.  Your pictures would be underexposed.
I do not really care for how the camera feels in my hands, but for reasons like
this, would stick with the professional bodies.  Metering was the only reason
that I was looking at the OM2000, but from the experience with the OM PC, I
think I am going to pass it.  Olympus seems to always leave details unfinished
in their non system bodies.  Of course I forgot to mention that every feature
of the OM 1 works perfectly... well, until it dies.
Cheers
Boris