Re: [OM] Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:11:52 -0500
It's this kind of disagreement that gave us the
expression, "Different strokes for different folks."  I find the
thing to be both uncomfortable and in the way.  This lens is often
found without the tripod collar, meaning others must've found it
inconvenient too and removed it.  I prefer to leave it on and just
move it to 12 o'clock.  Looks a bit strange, but, then, so do I
occasionally nowadays.

Or it may be missing because somebody broke it, since this is sort
of a strange collar and, I have heard, not all that robust.  Of
course, I can't imagine why anyone would tighten a tripod collar
to the point of breaking it.  I've got two Zuikos, two Tamrons,
and the 65-116 thingy with tripod collars, and I leave them all
loose enough to be easily rotated at any time, tightened up just a
smidgen beyond the point where they might flop around unbidden.

I have learned that putting a lens/camera combination on a tripod
and then finding it off level a bit is much easier to correct by
turning the lens in the tripod collar than by fiddling with the
tripod legs.  (Tripods are evil necessities and I hate them all.)
Plus, these things aren't shackles.  The lens ain't trying to
escape, so it doesn't need strong restraint.

Try it with the collar upside down.  To me, it's just way more
better.

Walt