[OM] Retro and looking in through the Digital Window

Subject: [OM] Retro and looking in through the Digital Window
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:06:42 -0800 (PST)
Jan wrote:
>(Of course, if you want to be a fine-art photochemistry print
>maker forever, there are going to be some DYNAMITE prices on
>used darkroom equipment in the next few years! :-)

I'M COUNTING ON IT!!!!  I would very much like to get a big,
solid, colorhead 4x5 enlarger for $25.

Reality is that each one of us must settle in on what works for
us.  I'm now making more money doing fine-art photography than I
am doing event/wedding/portrait photography.  Can you guess
which one I enjoy more?  Part of me could care less if I ever
photographed another person other than my own kids.

My biggest problem with digital remains one key issue:  Filing.
My filing system for the slides and film is wonderful.  I can
find ANY slide (provided I returned it to the sleeves) in less
than a minute.  Only exceptions are the mega-files of flowers,
lighthouses, waterfalls and sunsets.  Those I have to wave
through 20-30 sheets at three seconds each.  All of my slides
are categorized (and many of the BW negs are too) together.  If
they were burned on CDs it would take me forever to load, look
and find pictures spanning years.  This dilemma isn't fatal, but
is bothersome.  I know how successful I've been with digitized
pictures so far.

Second problem I've been experiencing with digital is the Delete
function.  It is too easy for me to eliminate my mistakes or
what I thought at the time was a mistake.  I've kept more than
my share of mediocre pictures because of some unknown reason and
later found them to be of great interest or success.  I like
that "time delay" that film gives me.

However, I do recall the time that I was so frustrated during a
photoshoot that I popped open the camera took the exposed film
out unrewound and proceeded to stomp on it until dead.  Once I
was sure that it wasn't breathing I hacked it to pieces with my
knife.  You just don't get that kind of satisfaction pressing
"Delete".

AG-too much coffee-Schnozz