[OM] Re: OM1 Metering

Subject: [OM] Re: OM1 Metering
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:34:20 -0000
------ Original message ------
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:45:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Garry D. Lewis" <erind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [OM] OM1 Metering

> Yes I can see that( wearing glasses myself). But more
> than 1/4 or 1/2 stop difference?

It depends where the sun is.  If you are shooting with the sun behind you or
in front of you, or there is no sun (i.e. a typical summer's day in the UK),
the effect is minimal.  But if you are shooting with the sun at the side (on
the side corresponding to the eye you use -- left side for me, since I am
left eyed), the sunlight is reflected off the skin around your eye into the
viewfinder.

> Anyway, does it really pay ( to us glasses wearers) to
> invest in a dioter and eyecup- if we have to remove
> our glasses to use our cameras, then put them on to
> see?

I do this, because my carefully composed trannies too frequently ended up
being misaligned -- using glasses I cannot see both left and right edges of
the viewfinder frame at the same time.  These days I use a "granny cord" --
one of those cords that you attach to your spectacles to suspend your
spectacles from your neck.  I walk around with spectacles on, and camera
suspended from my neck.  When I see something I want to photograph, I take
my spectacles off and allow them to hang around my neck, and raise the
camera to my eye. When the picture is taken, it's back on with the specs.  I
have adjusted the cord length so that the specs and camera hang at different
places (specs at chest level, camera at stomach level).  Also, I don't use
my regular frameless plastic-lensed specs for this -- they would be too
likely to get damaged.  I use an alternative pair of specs with sturdy wire
frames and glass lenses.

-- from Cy in the UK