Re: [OM] Hyper-speed B&W

Subject: Re: [OM] Hyper-speed B&W
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:19:42 -0500
Most of my 1600/3200 shooting is done inside,  I use that speed so that I can
get reasonable shutter speeds or DOF. So I typically take meter readings
(either handheld or in-camera) from the representative areas and manually
adjust my exposures like that.  Many interiors are evenly lit, which makes it
easy.  If you shoot something where the subject is lit by an overhead light and
in the center of the frame, whereas the background is dark, you have to be
careful not to overexpose your subject.

If you're shooting stuff like outside under streetlights or theatre, you have
to find some way to spot meter the subject or get an incident reading of light
falling on the subject.

Repriprocity failure charts can be found on the film makers websites.  But the
best method for long, long exposure calculations is to do some testing.

As far as the accuracy of an AE system, you'll have to look at the minimum EV
sensitivity rating for your camera and calculate whether it will work or not.
In general, the OM-2 can expose just about any scene that's short of nighttime,
including moonlight.  Remember, it meters exposures by reading the light
hitting the film's surface and then reflected into the photocell.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost