[OM] Re: [OT] Shutterbug "discovery"

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Shutterbug "discovery"
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:41:28 -0800

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:22:27 -0800
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Shutterbug "discovery"

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 06:49 PM, Tris Schuler wrote:

 > For illustration, a similar parallel could be drawn to painting...

<SNIP>

I don't really think it is the same thing.  The meaning of
"photography" is writing with light. Camera is short for "camera
obscura" or dark room because the first ones were rooms with a lens set
in the wall. The point is that digital photography uses a similar
camera and is writing with light. The only difference is the form of
light sensitive material. Instead of emulsion spread on a glass plate,
or a film, it is a light sensitive circuit. There has been an amazing
variety of light sensitive materials already used in the capturing and
printing of an image. This is just one more way to do it. To equate
photography just with the particular process you grew up with is really
limiting.  Matthew Brady would probably not have liked 35mm cameras and
film cassettes, but it is still photography.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA

I agree completely. I am still somewhat troubled by the either/or "debate" if one wants to call it that, of digital vs. film that tends to pervade photo lists. Reminds be a bit of the Mac vs PC debates (though having used PC's quite a bit the last few years, I am still of the opinion Macs are better). But, back to the subject at hand...both film and digital are wonderful sets of tools to create images, and both provide their own intrinsic sets of pleasures and frustrations in working with them. In addition, melding the two can sometimes create wonderful, innovative synergies. There is little that compares to looking at a nice sharp 'chrome through a good loupe, or viewing a fine art print on paper, e.g. George Anderson's beautiful work. OTOH, I am becoming firmly convinced that for working pros that need to produce product quickly and effectively, digital beats the pants off film.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!