Re: Re: [OM] What's the truth about film cameras?

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] What's the truth about film cameras?
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:58:33 +1100

> mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > What's the truth about film cameras?
>
> Digital out sold film cameras in the US in 2002 IF you discount
> disposeable cameras ( A LOT of disposeable cameras are sold each
> year)

"Disposables" are re-sold, actually most are "recycled".

> How could business into film cameras just go away with a still huge
> market?
>
> It won't just go away. You can still buy 127 film, a format that has
> not been made since the 1960's. What will go away is the huge number
> of choices we have and the easy availability of film and processing
> (eventually).

Why is it that you can still buy 127 film if it hasn't been made since the
1960's ?
Did somebody have a lot of it in the freezer ?

> Film cameras are to stay strong for the next 5 years, after that what
> will
> happen to my fort knots collection of Oly gear?
>
> The value may dop, p[erhaps dramatically (think what happened to the
> price of MOST movie cameras after camcorders really took off. Sure
> Bolex and Arriflex are still worth money but a Chinon? $5 MAYBE)

Best to sell all your Oly gear on eBay now.

> On the other hand your OM gear will still produce the same quality
> photos and because the price difference is no the smae magnitude as
> moves (1980 $ 3 mins movie film and processing $20. 1990 2 hours of
> tape $5 or less and reuseable at that)

Some people consider digital to cost *nothing* per frame.

> It's like a car with no gas with out film!
>
> If you are truly losing sleep at night go buy a ton of your favorite
> film and fill up a freezer. Frozen film does age but ages very
> slowly.

Just make sure you can get it processed when you eventually thaw it out !

> Very worried and not ready to give up to digital.

There are more important things to worry about.

Wayne Harridge

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge