[OM] 1000 Miles a Day

Subject: [OM] 1000 Miles a Day
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:29:29 EST
John,

Nice work, especially considering you were driving like Barry Newman in "The
Vanishing Point."  Maybe that could be a Tope Theme:  "Drive 1000 miles in a
day, post all pics and speeding tickets." :-)

I have almost identical pics as your Nevada #3 and #4 -- one with train, one
without.  That's Butch & Sundance country.  What a history the country that
road (I-80) travels has!  I love Donner Pass.  Seeing the rockwork done for
the railroad by the Chinese immigrants back in the 1860s is awesome.  Brings
history to life.

There is an upcoming (Mar. 25 - 27) PBS broadcast about the Chinese-American
experience, which will no doubt feature the contribution to the
Transcontinental Railroad the Chinese immigrants made, esp. the Sierra work
(it may show earlier on your PBS station -- does here).  Here's a link:

<A
HREF="http://cprr.org/Museum/Chinese.html";>http://cprr.org/Museum/Chinese.html</A>

Rich (and a Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!)