Re: [OM] More Changes than the Film

Subject: Re: [OM] More Changes than the Film
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:44:45 -0800
> ....you would think there would be some concern
> > about the glass. When did that go away? Or do I just not get it? :-)

Winsor, I don't get it either. I think that now in the early days of
digital there are other more pressing issues than the glass. Like
packing more info into the picture. Film has matured to the point where
there are no big improvements every year, it has effectively become a
constant and glass actually makes a difference. Digital is just getting
to this point at the consumer level. (some) People are going to start
seeing that mucho mega whatevers and gheewhiz gizmos aren't going to cut
by themselves and we'll start seeing a shift in emphasis back to a more
balanced view i.e. it takes more than mega pixels. A recent review of
digital cameras in Consumer Report may have caught a hint of this when
they reported that a 2mp Kodak equaled or bettered other brands boasting
3 or more mega pixels. maybe it was the glass, maybe the software or
something else, who knows? Anyway, this is one of the reasons I'm
staying away from digital for the time being.

mike