Re: [OM] warming polarizer filters

Subject: Re: [OM] warming polarizer filters
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 15:18:26 -0800
There was a long thread on high altitude photography started by Wayne's questions about getting better results on the altiplano of Bolivia on his upcoming trip than the last one. I suggested that a UV filter like Wayne was using is insufficient at real high altitude and a 1A should be better. Another listee who shoots in the Rockies went further and said an 81A or 81C is needed because the weaker filters still let a lot of UV in and some films are more sensitive to UV than our eyes. Someone pointed out the Moose filters (no relation) which simply combine an 81A with a polarizer. There is a web site <http://www.moose395.net/gear/moosefltr.html> which explains it, but they are available cheaper elewhere on the web. Also, other manufacturers now make the same thing.

Moose

John Hudson wrote:

I came across a selection of "Moose's Warming Polarizer" filters at our local photo store this morning. The warming element is shown to be equivalent to an 81A filter and the polarizer is circular and not linear. Does anyone use these filters and can comment on their experience and well as the kind of lighting situations in which they would be useful?