Re: [OM] Is this statement true??

Subject: Re: [OM] Is this statement true??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:20:00 -0800
Why might this be so?
1. There has been a great deal of progress in lens materials, such as improved glasses, design, with computer aid, and manufacturing techniques, such as asymetric surfaces, over the whole period of the development of photography.
2. Lenses have been getting faster overall over that period.
3. The economics of the business are such that considerably more has been spent on quality in the premium lenses in any manufacturers line, so that they are not only faster, their most obvious characteristic (other than price!), but include other more expensive design, manufacturing and material features that improve performance.

So in the real world, slower lenses are on average older and/or cheaper designs than faster lenses and the generality from Photosig is often accurate.

As Dizel has pointed out with several examples, this is not always true in practice. It is certainly not true in theory if each lens is the best that can be made with the same technology. However, in the practical world of commercial camera lenses, it may be true enough to perhaps justify it as a general rule subject to individual confirmation.

In the Zuiko world, it seems to be true in some cases. The 28/3.5 was replaced by the 28/2.8, which was augmented with the 28/2 and, at least in Gary's tests, the generality seems to hold. Although the focal lengths don't exactly coincide, the faster Zuiko telephotos seem to outperform their more ordinary siblings in all respects in Gary's tests and comments on the list. Another factor in overall performance is the floating element(s) that move during focus to improve close focus quality in many of the f2 series of Zuikos.

It is not always true. In a post some time ago, I compared 50mm Zuikos based on Gary's tests:
---------------------
I know these comparisons aren't really valid at the 1/3 grade level, but just for fun... I converted all the resolution grades to numbers, A+=9, C-=1 and the contrast grades to numbers, VH=5, ML=1. I then added up the two resolution scores for each f-stop for each lens and selected a winner based on high score. I then added the contrast scores to the totals. Since I use only one contrast score and the contrast numbers are lower, this total is still heavily resolution rated.

Here are the winners based on the exercise:
f-stop   Resol.      R & C
f/1.4    f1.4         f1.4
f/2      f1.4         f1.4
f/2.8    f1.4         f1.4
f/4      f1.8         f1.8  (scores of  all lenses basically a tie)
f/5.6    f3.5         f1.8
f/8      f2.0         f2.0+f3.5
f/11     f3.5         f3.5
f/16     f3.5         f3.5
f/22     f3.5         f3.5

Now, some of the scores are too close to be meaningful, but I think you see the point, the f1.4 is the best general use lens.
--------------------------
Of course, the 50/3.5 is not a cheap, slow lens, but an example of what happens when a slow lens is built to top quality. (Gary has said later that he doesn't think the results for the 50/2 at f2 & 2.8 in his test are up to the performance of most 50/2s.)

Perhaps a better statement would be. "A faster lens is usually sharper at the same aperture than a slower lens at its widest 1 or 2 stops."

Moose

Albert wrote:

"Almost any lens is sharper stopped-down than it is wide-open.

True. Notice it says "Almost".

So besides focusing better and more accurately, a fast lens is usually sharper at the same aperture as a slower lens, simply because it's been stopped-down more."

That's from an article on photosig.

I don't think that's true. It's easier to make a sharp slow lens. A 50mm f3.5 @ f8 I wouldn't be surprised if it was as sharp or SHARPER then a 50mm f1.4 @ f8.

Am I wrong, or is the article's statement wrong??

Albert