Canon vs. Nikon fights - but still [OM].

Subject: Canon vs. Nikon fights - but still [OM].
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:12:03 +0100
I like this.
Got this from another list.
They all dish the dirt on each other.

Seems that Oly has some opportunities with a dedicated lens design (with
perpendicular rays striking the sensor), with a good 4/3 sensor, and at the
right price.

best regds
jez

Subject: Re: EOS 1Ds vs D1X

At 12:17 AM 3/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
> >When you look at the dSLR market, the D1X is still probably the king of
the
> >pro camera with the best image quality.
>
>Please read some reviews, there is no problem to find out that it is not
true
>any more. The only one problem with D1S is a price.

Its pricey.  It has severe chromatic aberrations at wide angles that they
came out with a special wide angle lens for.  While there is more
resolution, the overall image quality isn't any better (colors, saturation,
tone control, etc.).  I'm not saying its worse, its only better by more
megapixels.

>However, the D1X RAW Files can produce 11 megapixel files anyway
>Sorry but could you explain it ?

The D1X has a 4096x1312 pixel sensor array.   Nikon's in camera
interpolation downsamples the width and upsamples the height to make a 5.6
megapixel image.

        (Let's hope OM-E 'effective' pixels are real pixels.)

However, early 3rd party folks like QImage and Bibble found this was silly
to throw away that horizontal resolution.  If you keep the 4096 horizontal
pixels and just upsample the vertical to make the image the right
proportions, you end up with a 10.5 megapixel image.  However, this only
works with a RAW file that can be post-processed and not use the camera's
internal programming.    Nikon put support for this mode in Capture 3.5 to
make it "official".

Using RAW Files in this mode will have the D1X rival the 1Ds's horizontal
resolving power, though the 1Ds will still have a better vertical resolving
power.   Add to that the above about color, and such being the same between
the two,  the 1Ds is only slightly better than the D1X and certainly not
$3000-$4000 more and you still have to buy a special wide angle lens.