[OM] sniping; maximum f-ratio

Subject: [OM] sniping; maximum f-ratio
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:49:44 -0800
When sniping, I compare my watch to eBay's clock several times before the
end of the auction. eBay usually acknowledges your bid within two to three
seconds of your hitting "send," so it's fairly easy to bid just a few
seconds before the end. Interestingly, I lost an auction the other day
precisely because eBay seemed to "gag" at the last moment.

I once read that the maximum f-number for a lens in air is f/0.5. I've never
seen an explanation, but it's probably very simple -- a faster lens is
necessarily thicker (you can't change the curvature without changing the
focal length), and will eventually become thick enough to touch the film
plane.