[OM] OT Bagpipes (was Walt, I'm Here to Help!)

Subject: [OM] OT Bagpipes (was Walt, I'm Here to Help!)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:38:36 EST
Ag Schnozz wrote:

>Come on, come on.  Bagpipes need to be banned before anything
>else.  They serve absolutely no useful purpose other than to
>pipe people out at funerals.  NOBODY needs a bagpipe.  Think
>about the children!

>Oh, the humanity...

Oh, Ag, you had to know we couldn't let THAT one go by.

No. 1 pipeband in the world, 4 times, Simon Fraser University pipe band of
Abbotsford, B.C. will be here the 2nd weekend of June, for the Bellingham
Highland Games.  No. 1 and no. 2 pipers in the world in that band.

Wanna hear em?  Audio files: <A
HREF="http://www.sfupipeband.com/";>http://www.sfupipeband.com/</A>

For something a little more contemporary, listen to the "Blue Cloud" track
from the "Down Under" appearance.  Funky.  If you just can't appreciate the
pipes, focus on the snare drumming.  VERY cool!  Even young, tatooed, pierced
& ear-ringed rappers dig the syncopated drumming!

I guess being half Scot, and with an Uncle-piper in full regalia as MC of the
Games, I'm unavoidably and hopelessly prejudiced.

In addition to "piping people out at funerals", the pipes lead the brave to
battle, lead them home; provide the jigs & reels for dancing, the music for
weddings (my Uncle played at his daughter's), any ceremony, public and/or
private (annual Rrrrrrobert Burrrrrrns Dinner, etc.); pass on folklore,
tradition, heritage.  Legal or NOT!  At one point, bagpipes WERE banned by
the English!  The Scots, being who they are, kept right on pipin'.

Rich (startin' down tha' rrrroad, Aye, and prrrrrrrrrrrrrrroud of it!!!)

When bagpipes are outlawed, only outlaws will play bagpipes!