Re: [OM] Review of the C-5050 on a recent trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Review of the C-5050 on a recent trip
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:52:14 -0800
What a great report Wayne. I really enjoyed your observations. You are right about the flood of easily understood information information in the viewfinder of the OM4T. It explains the discomfort I get when looking through the finder of a digital, the cryptic message cluttered LCD or the finder of a point and shoot.

By the way EWA Marine makes and underwater flexible housing that will hold your OM4T and a flash. It is OK for shallow diving - nothing very deep.

Some digitals, I don't know about the C5050, will let you enlarge the picture on the LCD with the zoom button in the review mode if you want to do a quick check because you think there might be a problem.

With rangefinder judgment of depth of field, it was always the DOF scale engraved on the wonderful manual focus lens. My old Leica M3 also had two projections on the rangefinder field in the viewfinder. If your double image was unmerged more than the width of the projection it was out of focus. One was for one Fstop and one for another. I don't remember which F stops. I am not sure whether Leica kept that design in later models or not. Haven't seen it in other rangefinders.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA