Re: [OM] Puzzled on this one. OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Puzzled on this one. OT
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:33:28 -0700
At 08:02 AM 2/25/2003 -0800, Norm Nadel wrote:
To all:

This is Off Topic !

I consider the I.Q. of this group to be significantly above average.

Go here and try it:    http://www.cyberglass.co.uk/FlashEx/mindreader.html

I can usually figure these things out but this one seems a bit more
complicated. Some sort of algorithm I assume, but it's quite clever.

There are only nine numbers which you can achieve as a result of the supplied algorithm (for reference, they are 9, 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72 and 81). If you look at any of those nine numbers, you'll see that they have the *same* symbol. When you then click the crystal ball, that symbol shows up.

If you then click on "Try Again," a new lookup table is loaded, different from the previous (although with a pseudo-random choice, it stands at least a 1 in 9 chance of being the same as before for the "predetermined" numbers' symbols); but the new table still has the *same* symbol for the nine numbers mentioned above. Clicking on the magic ball again simply shows you the same symbol as in any one of the nine "predetermined" slots.

The gag is based on (a) forcing you to arrive at a predetermined sub-set of choices, (b) using the same visual cue for those choices alone, and (c) distracting you with a larger subset of symbols which cannot be chosen, and which are made to appear to rotate randomly, making you believe that they're all random.

Many magic tricks use the combination of predetermined choice and misdirection of the observer to achieve this effect -- not surprisingly, virtually all of the "mind-reading" magic tricks which don't rely on subterfuge or additional information use it.

Garth