Re: [OM] Pretty Much [OT]:Speaking of Tiltall...

Subject: Re: [OM] Pretty Much [OT]:Speaking of Tiltall...
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:26:52 +1300
At 20:06 -0600 17/1/03, Steve Goss wrote:

>Was the "C.M. Marchioni, of Rutherford, New Jersey" company the owner
>before, or after Leitz?
>
>Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa

Sorry this is so late, but I haven't seen an answer, unless someone changed
the subject line.

Marchioni originated the Tiltall. If I recall correctly, it was a couple of
engineer brothers who made the thing in their basement workshop to start
with.

I think I got my first one sometime around 1960 or 61, when I was in senior
high school and just staring photojournalism at the University of Minnesota.

We used to wrap the aluminum legs with Scotch black photographic masking
tape -- not because they were so shiny or because we were so poncy or
poseury, as in taping your chrome Leica or Nikon (which we also DID do),
but because the aluminum wasn't anodized, and it electro-corroded from
atomosphere and sweat, while you were using it, and your hands got black!

Greatest tripod ever made. Keep your Gitzos and all the others. Wish I
still had one! The Leitz copies were never up to the Marchioni standard,
IMO.

--
Cheers from Godzone,

Michael Kopp